Mon Oct 18, 2021
AUTHENTIC SOUTH-INDIAN BREAKFAST RECIPE (VERMICELLI UPMA)
- A cup of Vermicelli (semiya)
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- Curry leaves (as required)
- A big, sliced tomato
- 1 teaspoon chickpeas
- ½ teaspoon black gram
- 1 finely chopped big onion
- 3-4 chopped green chilies
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Coriander leaves (as required)
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups of water
- In a pan, roast vermicelli until it turns light brown over medium heat. Sauté and keep the roasted vermicelli aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil along with the mustard seeds until the mustard seeds splutter. Add chickpeas, black gram, and curry leaves until they are golden brown.
- The pan is then filled with sliced onion, grated ginger, and green chilies. Chop the carrots, green peas, tomatoes, and turmeric powder into a bowl and mix it with the salt.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until the veggies become soft.
- Add 2 cups of water and when the water begins to boil, add the roasted vermicelli. Mix thoroughly and cover with a lid after fully mixing it.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes until the water has been absorbed. To avoid sticking, stir in between occasionally.
- Remove the pan from heat and transfer the semiya upma to a serving bowl and add coriander leaves as garnish.
2021- Fall -Issue 6